Remember those little squash I bought at the farmer’s market last Saturday? Those adorable veggies are called Patty Pan squash and I finally used them last night for dinner. I love the name of them. It sounds like a character from Charlie Brown I actually had a hard time cutting into them because they really are a cute food. So instead of slicing and dicing them into a recipe I decided to highlight them as the main course. I wanted to leave them in their whole form as much as possible so I made an awesome stuffed squash dish. It really was uh-mazing. I recommend trying this one out this weekend if you can get your hands on some patty pans
Stuffed Patty Pans
4 patty pan squash
1 cup quinoa
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
1/2 cup tomato sauce
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to package. Set aside.
2. While the quinoa cooks, sautee mushrooms with 1 Tbsp EVOO, garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
3. Combine cooked quinoa, mushrooms, and pasta sauce in pan. Add more pasta sauce if necessary.
4. Slice a small piece off of bottom of patty pans so they sit upright. Slice the top off and scoop out the inside of each squash.
5. Overfill the squash so it’s heaping with the quinoa and mushroom mixture.
6. Place in baking dish and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the squash feels tender when poked with a fork.
This dish was so good. I now love patty pan squash and cannot wait to get more! This meal is also very good for you and is packed with vitamins and protein.